Monday, January 21, 2008

It's David and Goliath Again

A Command Requiring Faith

God told Abram: "Leave your country, your family, and your father's home for a land that I will show you.

A Promise of Abundance

I'll make you a great nation and bless you.
I'll make you famous; you'll be a blessing.

Obedience and a Leap of Faith

So Abram left just as God said...

Confirmation of God After the Leap

God appeared to Abram and said, "I will give this land to your children." Abram built an altar at the place God had appeared to him.

Takes Eyes Off God and Fear Takes Over

Then a famine came to the land. Abram went down to Egypt to live; it was a hard famine. As he drew near to Egypt, he said to his wife, Sarai, "Look. We both know that you're a beautiful woman. When the Egyptians see you they're going to say, 'Aha! That's his wife!' and kill me. But they'll let you live. Do me a favor: tell them you're my sister. Because of you, they'll welcome me and let me live."

This is David's story all over again. It seems to speak to the nature of God and people. Maybe it is a warning sign for us.

Be encouraged when you are obedient and take that leap of faith.

Be in awe as God blesses your obedience in tangible ways.

Be watchful you don't take your eyes off the source of your blessings.

Be alarmed when you experience fear

Be quick to turn back to Jesus.

No comments: